My photo
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Here at The Coloured Bubble Cakery all my cakes and cupcakes are lovingly hand baked and decorated to the highest standards and the tiniest of details. My blog is here to update you on my recent projects along with lots other exciting news about the Cakery. You can also follow the cakery on Twitter and Facebook for a more interactive way of staying up to date, if that's the way you roll. Cakes and Cupcakes are available to order for any occasion. Please feel free to contact me at thecolouredbubblecakery@gmail.com, through the contact me tab on Facebook or give me a call on 01242 698698, all enquiries are welcome, Rachel at The Coloured Bubble Cakery :) x NEW WEBSITE COMING SOON!!

Wednesday 18 January 2012

My Grandfathers Funeral Cake

On the very first morning of 2012 my 94 year old grandfather Cecil sadly passed away, following his dear wife's passing just 8 weeks earlier.

A grand old age I'm sure you'll agree and he left the earthly plain richer by 7 children, so many grandchildren that I daren't count, not to mention great-grandchildren!!

The funeral was held in the family village of Bourton on the Water and as per his wishes as little money as possible was spent on catering.  This meant that each family member that was able, provided a dish or two to the cause, including a delicious quiche by my brother, scrumptious salads by my sister and literally hundreds of sandwiches and rolls from my mother!!
I'm still working my way through left over sandwiches and scones as we could've fed the 5000 and I know he would be pleased to look down on us and see that definitely no food was wasted.

I was assigned the task of a cake, a traditional victoria sponge to compliment my auntie's scones & cupcakes which made me consider at last just what would be appropriate as a funeral cake. 
After consulting Google images and deciding against a full scale model of my grandfather himself, I kept it plain, monochromatic and as tasteful as possible, in fact I think it would also double as a beautifully simple wedding cake.  It's a celebration of a long life after all, so I wanted to avoid the dreary, the overly flashy and as I later concluded, absolutely no words were necessary.

Here is my grandfather's cake...


Cecil Minchin 1917 - 2012
A much loved husband of the late Joyce, father, grandfather and
 great-grandfather who will be sadly missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment