My photo
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Here at The Coloured Bubble Cakery all my cakes and cupcakes are lovingly hand baked and decorated to the highest standards and the tiniest of details. My blog is here to update you on my recent projects along with lots other exciting news about the Cakery. You can also follow the cakery on Twitter and Facebook for a more interactive way of staying up to date, if that's the way you roll. Cakes and Cupcakes are available to order for any occasion. Please feel free to contact me at thecolouredbubblecakery@gmail.com, through the contact me tab on Facebook or give me a call on 01242 698698, all enquiries are welcome, Rachel at The Coloured Bubble Cakery :) x NEW WEBSITE COMING SOON!!

Friday 29 June 2012

For the Love of all things SHOES...


Like most females, I have a bit of penchant for shoes of the 'fabulous' variety... unfortunately the bank balance never seems to match my expensive taste, but, nevertheless when I was asked to create a (and I quote) ridiculously fabulous wedge shoe cake for a 13th Birthday my eyes lit up, and I'm not talking the energy saving light bulbs, I mean the energy guzzling instant bright bulbs of the olden days :) 
Then, as if it could possibly get any better, I was informed that the birthday girl’s favourite colours are pink, purple & turquoise... I was immediately transported to cake creation heaven!

So I set to work, my research basically boiling down to online window shopping at all my favourite online shoe shops... it was a blissful bit of work & possibly resulted in an accidental purchase of a little something for myself... oops!


Anyhoo...

For the basic wedge shaped sole I had loads of fun making a big batch of rice krispie cake which I fashioned into the shape, it's really sticky stuff so a good coating of vegetable fat on my hands was necessary to make it possible.  Unfortunately the batch of krispie cake was far, far too big and I had to consume a lot of left over’s... but because of this hardship I’ve decided that they were so yummy it's worth jotting down the easy-peasy recipe for you...  

It's so simple, all you need to do is melt 45g butter in a pan, then add 300g marshmallows and stir until completely melted.  Take off the heat and pour in 180g of Rice Krispies.  Stir well... I would recommend a large saucepan from the start to help ease your stirring arm... et VoilĂ !! 
The traditional next step would be to press the mix into a baking tray and allow to cool but I think it’s much more fun to model with it… baste your hands up with vegetable fat (I use the solid variety but the liquid style would do just as well) and then get creative with the kids (kids optional)!!!

Once the sole was cool, I gave it a quick covering of buttercream to disguise any lumps or bumps and then covered it with fondant icing ready for decoration.

The shoe box was made from chocolate sponge with Nutella filling and was simply decorated with a tag.

Here's the finished cake... totally edible as cakes should be...


Fancy a better view of the shoe…?
...go on then...


Happy 13th Birthday Holly!












No comments:

Post a Comment