My photo
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Here at The Coloured Bubble Cakery all my cakes and cupcakes are lovingly hand baked and decorated to the highest standards and the tiniest of details. My blog is here to update you on my recent projects along with lots other exciting news about the Cakery. You can also follow the cakery on Twitter and Facebook for a more interactive way of staying up to date, if that's the way you roll. Cakes and Cupcakes are available to order for any occasion. Please feel free to contact me at thecolouredbubblecakery@gmail.com, through the contact me tab on Facebook or give me a call on 01242 698698, all enquiries are welcome, Rachel at The Coloured Bubble Cakery :) x NEW WEBSITE COMING SOON!!

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Jude's Fender

If you are a follower of the The Coloured Bubble Cakery on Facebook  or Twitter then you might already know that I am now officially the auntie of a teenager!
Yes, it's true, my wonderful nephew Jude has just turned 13 and of course he had to have a super cool 13th birthday cake to properly mark this moment in his life.

We'd been thinking it over for a few months but ultimately Jude knew exactly what he wanted from the start.  As a talented guitarist (and future rock star) he chose an electric guitar but he wanted it to be designed like an ace of spades because of his love for card tricks... I can confirm that he's always got a deck of cards in his pocket and a trick up his sleeve to amaze & wow us!

I based the cake on a white Fender Stratocaster (mainly because I love painting the Fender logo but also because of it's iconic shape) and set about creating the cake.  It's at moments like these that GCSE maths comes in handy (Jude, note to self!) as I used ratios to create a scale model of the guitar... ridiculously measuring the image on my laptop screen with a ruler and scaling up from there, I'm sure there's probably a more technically correct way of doing this but it did the trick!  Here's the template...


I had intended to buy the cake board in advance but as ever time flew and I was left with a choice of just one suitable board from my local cake supply shop which turned out to be 30" x 18"... it was HUGE!!

Jude couldn’t decide on a flavour so I took it upon myself to decide for him, making the cake a mixture of vanilla & jam, chocolate & Nutella and lemon drizzle & lemon curd, with flavours dotted all over the place so it was a bit of a 'cake flavour lottery' 
when cutting it!  Here's what it looked like naked...!!


And here it is fully clothed and finished...



Jude totally loved his cake...



and of course, cut it in his usual style...


Although he had already been warned about becoming a stereotypical 'Kevin & Perry' teenager, my sister informed me that his first word on the morning of his 13th was "ugh?"... as a joke... cheeky blighter! :)

Happy 13th Birthday JUDE!!!
lots of love, Auntie Rachel. xx
(sorry if this embarrasses you at school!!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment